| Western Isles of Scotland
Bird Sightings : Hebrides : Buff-breasted Sandpiper
Juvenile American Golden Plover on left, Buff-breasted Sandpiper on right
Buff-breasted Sandpiper (and American Golden Plover!)
Photograph © Andy Robinson
Isle of Lewis - Outer Hebrides (Western Isles)
"A few more american waders around at the weeeknd - Buff-Breasted sandpiper at
the butt of lewis with an American Golden plover also there on Saturday. And a
Bairds sandpiper at Borve beach...
Just working on your pics and realised you got a Buff-breasted Sandpiper AND
American Golden Plover in the same shot!!
That was a very good day...
"Yep it was - I'd bumped into Tristan and we were approaching the pool near the
ligthhouse which I saying had the most potential when hey presto up they
- Buff-breasted Sandpiper
- Tryngites subruficollis
- UK: Less than 20 records BTO
- UK: Scarce visitor
- WI: Rare visitor (less than 30 records)
- Breeds: Northern Canada, Alaska
- Winters: South America
- Habitat is tundra, grazing land, machair, estuaries, golf courses, air fields, pools or mudflats on the sea shore - prefers dry or short grass...
- Diet: mostly invertebrates, plant seeds
- Dunlin sized wader
- Black eye on plain face, pale eye ring
- Legs mustard yellow
Buff-breasted Sandpiper records in the Western Isles
Rare visitor (less than 30 records)
Source: Outer Hebrides Bird Report (2001)
The chart below shows how abundant the Buff-breasted Sandpiper is during a month or when you are more likely to see it.
(Source: Outer Hebrides Birds Checklist)
Other local bird photographs
Sources of information for the bird sightings section
Home Contact Webmaster